Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon

For 2011 we decided to go on a road trip and find a really nice race we could look forward to and keep up the hard work and training. We picked the land of Lincoln and the finisher's medal was a giant penny (what can be cooler than that?!) The race was small and hilly but it is very scenic; you get to run past a lot of the historical marks in Springfield.  The race temperatures were perfect - a little chilly at the start, but rose to the mid 50's.  Despite being a hilly course I ran my all time PR.  I was hoping to run around a 1:55 but smashed that time completely.  Once I got to mile 11, I knew that even if I ran 10 min/mile for the last 2, I would still get my PR. 

Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon - Springfield, IL
1:49:13


                                                                                                                                                         Before the race, trying to stay warm!

 
Showing off our Lincoln Medals!!
 
 

 
There are a lot of tourist attractions to see in Springfield.  This is this is Lincoln's tomb.  Part of the race went into this park and the racers ran around the tomb.


 
Abe Lincoln's house - we were able to take a tour of the house and check out all of the rooms.  Ran past this in the beginning of the race as well as a bunch of historical house on the same road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment